||Latvian fellowships for research work
The Baltic International Academy takes part in the project Scholarships for International Students and Researchers of "Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra" (The State Education Development Agency) within three directions:
• Scholarships for studies in Latvia
• Fellowships for research work in Latvia
• Scholarships for summer schools in Latvia
Application form and additional information can be found at Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra
(State Education Development Agency): "International Cooperation" "Scholarships"
II. Latvian fellowships for research work in Latvian Higher Education Institutions in the academic year 2016/2017
a) Application conditions
Only academic staff of foreign HEIs is eligible candidates for the Latvian fellowship.
The fellowships are granted for a time period of up to 5 months.
In general, the academic year in Latvia lasts from 1 September to 30 June.
b) Application procedure (deadline 1 April 2016)
1. Application form:
2. Curriculum Vitae and list of scientific publications (applicants are asked to use the Europass CV form).
3. Research plan for research work in Latvia (approx. 3 pages) and motivation letter.
4. Certified photocopies of Master Diploma, including transcript (if the PhD degree is not obtained jet) or PhD diploma.
5. Invitation letter from the proposed Latvian HEI (please contact the International Relations Department/Unit or Foreign Students Department/Unit of the Latvian HEI directly). List of contact persons in the Latvian HEIs:
6. One recommendation letter (written within the past three months) from the home HEI or employer.
7. Copy of passport or identity card.
Other important information:
All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English. All translations shall be officially certified.
The curriculum vitae and motivation letter shall be dated and signed.
The application form and all the enclosed documents shall be submitted in two sets.
Any incomplete applications or applications handed in after the deadline will not be taken into consideration. Documents sent by e-mail will not be accepted.
The submitted documents will not be returned.
Application dossiers for scholarships for research work at Latvian HEIs have to be sent directly to VIAA with the following exceptions: Lithuanian, Estonian, Czech, Hungarian and Polish candidates have to send the dossiers to the competent authorities of their countries:
All applications will be evaluated by the Evaluation Committee of VIAA in accordance with the following evaluation criteria:
1) Plan for research work;
2) Motivation for research work in Latvia.
Foreigners who apply for research work in the field of Latvian language, literature or culture, are awarded one additional point.
The final decision on granting scholarships will be made by the Evaluation Committee.
The list of accepted candidates will be published on the website of VIAA (English version) in June 2016. All candidates will be informed personally about the results by e-mail.
c) Financial provisions
• The amount of the Latvian fellowship is 30,00 EUR per day and max. 300,00 EUR for accommodation per month.
• The fellowship holder is expected to remain in residence in Riga/ Latvia for the full duration of the proposed period. If she/he is absent from the host HEI more than 14 consecutive days, his/her fellowship will be cancelled.
• Upon request, the host HEI provides the fellowship holder with a place in a dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation in the international student dormitories must be submitted one month before arrival. Alternatively, foreign researchers may consider renting an apartment in the city.
• The Latvian fellowship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
• Travel expenses to the Latvian HEI and back to the country of origin are not covered by the Latvian fellowship.
• Fellowship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
Additional information can be found at Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra (State Education Development Agency),
"International Cooperation" "Scholarships":