Advantages of the programme
When you choose our Programme, you will be choosing the advantage of:
- a unique translation and interpreting course in Latvia, which provides the opportunity to choose a study module:
- bilingual translation and interpreting (English – mother tongue) or
- trilingual translation and interpreting (English – mother tongue — Russian as a foreign language / Latvian language);
- the possibility to study both translation and interpreting. In the process of studies, students will have an opportunity to discover their strong points and to find the true mission in life;
- an opportunity to acquire innovative educational technology in Latvia: “turn-key translation”;
- to master modern translation technologies — CAT tools: SDL TRADOS STUDIO, MEMSOURCE, WORDFAST;
- to acquire modern techniques of memorizing information (mnemonics);
- to study rhetoric and rhetorical culture;
- an opportunity to participate in voluntary translations. You can dedicate your time and skills to serve the interests of the community, to become aware that people need and value your assistance.
You will master the art and craft of written translation and interpreting on the one hand, and acquire professional listening and writing skills, cultural competence, observation skills, the desire for life-long work in your chosen field of specialised knowledge, advanced skills in applying professional translation programmes, time management skills (both self-discipline and the ability to organise others) on the other hand.
This is an opportunity to choose your mission and:
- work in translation agencies, in courts;
- become a freelance translator or translation project manager;
- become the owner of your own translation agency;
- work as a guide-interpreter, hotel manager in Latvia and abroad, translator-assistant in international organizations and banks;
- combine your translator job with the work of an editor or a teacher of foreign languages, work in the field of real estate or ecology and in many other areas, where multilingual and ambitious people are most welcome.
The programme strategy is based primarily on improving language proficiency, paying special attention to mastering literary norm and stylistic diversity (1st-2nd year). Only after having achieved fluency in languages, students can become part of the world of translation by mastering the following methods — first, written translation (2nd-3rd year), and then interpreting — both consecutive interpreting and simultaneous interpreting (3rd-4th year).
DESCRIPTION OF STUDY PROGRAMME
Self-esteem programmes “Translation and Interpreting”
Programme Director Prof. Dr. philol. Emma Arhangeļska
Lomonosova 4, office 313, Rīga, LV-1019
Phone: +371 67100550
Mob.: +371 29159781
Tuesday: 14:00 – 15:30
Director’s Assistant Maria Tkachukova
Phone: +371 67100550
Mob.: +371 29640224