Visas and residence permits


There are two ways of submitting the documents for requesting or registering a residence permit:

  1. by post (visiting Post office )
  2. electronically by approving the application and documents appended thereto with a secure electronic signature (eParaksts).

All the services provided by OCMA  for customers by pre-appointment only.

For the detailed information related to residence permit or visa, you can use Migration informative phone 67209600.  The CONTACTS of the territorial divisions are available HERE.

Regulations on visas and residence permits for international students in Latvia vary depending on country otheir citizenship.


Citizens of European Union (EU)/ European Economic Area (EEA) have the right to reside in Latvia without a residence permit or visa, but they have to apply for a registration card in the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) in Latvia.


Citizens of Non-EU/EEA require a visa residence and permit to enter the Republic of Latvia:

  • If you are intending to stay in Latvia for less than 90 days. If your country of citizenship is on the list, you generally can enter Latvia without a visa.
  • A residence permit is necessary if you are willing to reside in the Republic of Latvia for a period of time exceeding 90 days within half a year counting from the first day of entrance.

For detailed information on applying for a residence permit, we strongly recommend you to find the information provided by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs/

The temporary residence permit is made out only for students of day (full) time department.

In order to issue a residence permit, you needs to pay tuition fee for the first study year at the Baltic International Academy (BIA). After that, BIA foreign student department will prepare the documents to apply for a temporary residence permit.

List of the documents to be submitted to receive a residence permit, you can find here!

If you have any questions, please contact us by email – [email protected]